Maybe one day I’ll learn to write an actual intro that makes sense and is not just a mediocre pun.
Edit: Before I continue with more unimportant stuff, I’m sure all of you heard about George Floyd and the injustice the black community has been facing for decades now so this might seem redundant but now more than ever it’s so important to be proactively anti-racist and amplify black voices so please click this link if there’s any way you can contribute. Stay safe and educate yourself (and other’s if you’re able to). If you find yourself thinking things like “All lives matter” or “But the riots and looting argghhh” here’s a couple of resources you can read from your bubble of privilege.
This month I read a grand total of 6 books, I read 12 books last month. I pretty much got into a teeny slump and haven’t read a book in 3 weeks, hopefully I’ll shake it off.
To Have and to Hoax by Martha Waters ★★: I brought this book with my hard-earned google opinion credits because I wanted to explore the re-falling in love trope and this ain’t it. The MCs were petty and childish and spent 50% of the book thinking about how attractive the other is. Towards the end of the book there were just so much unnecessary drama what is this a trisha paytas video?
Tweet Cute by Emma Lord ★★★.5: Pretty cute moments ngl but also a tad unrealistic and I’m not just talking about the MC’s resume here (but swim team captain, social media person, food blogger and straight A’s? r u srs?).
If I’m Being Honest by Emily Wibberley & Austin Siegemund-Broka ★★★: This wasn’t a bad book but it’s pretty forgettable. The MC is a mean popular girl and she seeks redemption so that her crush can like her? Yeahh I’ve read this wattpad book before thank you, next.
The Abyss Surrounds Us by Emily Skrutskie ★★★★: Badass lesbian pirates. ft equal footing and sea monsters.
The Edge of the Abyss by Emily Skrutskie ★★★★: More equal footing, sea monsters and gayness.
Again pretty inconsistent, I try to post on Tuesdays and Saturdays but I got into a funk and morphed into an unproductive blob. I need to figure out what kind of posts I like writing…..so if anyone knows please tell me.
- If The World Was Ending – the non-cringy version of Imagine with a bunch of actual singers
- Olivia Rodrigo– yes the girl from hsmtmts who is younger and more talented than I will ever be. She does a bunch of snippets of original songs on her insta and they are all bomb.
- Eight by IU and Suga – this song made me feel so many things ahh (watch me watch Hotel del Luna just for IU)
Last months goals-
Read a classic book: I said I’d re-read Anne or Little Women but idc Daddy Long Legs counts. Get 4 more followers: I actually got 29 more followers which is pretty insane, thank you so much! (also it feels superficial and ungrateful asking for more followers so this will probably never be in my goals again) Actually do online courses: I did 2! They weren’t super useful but if I see the words ‘free’ and ‘certificate’ sign me the fuck up.
I actually did all of them? am I?? not a failure??
Do a LGBTQ+ Readathon: IT’S PRIDE MONTH! So I want to join (?) a readathon and figure out a TBR which is pretty exciting cause I’ve never done one before and have no idea how they work.
Read more books from POC authors: I’ve seen a lot of books and movies being recommended for a better understanding of what’s happening now and surprisingly I’ve watched more media (The Hate U Give, Dear White People) than books. Literally how was I allowed to be a book blogger again? So, ‘I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings’, ‘The Bluest Eye’ and ‘Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race’ is going on my TBR.
1) I stayed up till 4 am spring cleaning my email, for context I have 5 email ids and they’re all a mess (2 are for college because my uni had an identity crisis halfway through and re-branded). They mostly consisted of rejected netgalley stuff (cool cool cool cool I’m never logging into that again) and gazillion DAILY updates from accounts I didn’t know I created.
Note to self: Do not subscribe to those websites that give you money for answering surveys because what a SCAM.
2) I’m convinced that there is not a single real person on Bloglovin and it’s just a union of bots.
3) I watched an unhealthy amount of movies and shows. I’m not even going to mention every show/movie I watched in case some optometrist sees this and contacts my mother. I might just make a Netflix recs post instead here’s a shortlist though- Mob Psycho 100, Bungo Stray Dogs, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, The Truman Show, Money Heist, Crash Landing On You, Half of It.
How was your May? Also does anyone know what a readathon actually is+ how they work and also pls send recs for good LGBT books and readathons!